Reduced: Made smaller or less, resulting from reduction.
Clause: a unit of grammatical organization next below the sentence in rank
Relative Clause: A subordinate clause that modifies a noun
See the following examples:
- A social worker can help a community that attempts to develop awareness of substance abuse or an elderly person that is unable to care for themselves
- A social worker can help a community attempting to develop awareness of substance abuse or an elderly person unable to care for themselves
- Students that are high in test anxiety would show improved performance if they are given reassurance during testing, a prediction proved true when it was tried
- Students high in test anxiety would show improved performance if given reassurance during testing, a prediction proved true when tried
Reduce to an adjective phrase
- Comparing images that are close in size is more difficult
- Comparing images close in size is more difficult
- People who wereangry with the high prices were protesting
- People angry with the high prices were protesting
- Animal models sometimes provide the only information that isavailable
- Animal models sometimes provide the only information available
Reduce to a prepositional phrase
- Psychologists who are in search of accurate information must use the scientific method.
- Psychologists in search of accurate information must use the scientific method.
Reduce to a P.P. phrase
- Functionalism was soon challenged by a new school of thought that iscalled behaviorism.
- Functionalism was soon challenged by a new school of thought called behaviorism.
- With assistance of the social workers that areassigned to you and your child, this challenging job can be made less stressful.
- With assistance of the social workers assigned to you and your child, this challenging job can be made less stressful.
Reduce to a -ing phrase
- For some individuals that suffer from mental disorders, living a normal life may seem very difficult.
- For some individuals suffering from mental disorders, living a normal life may seem very difficult.
- It is vital that anyone who provides assistance also pays attention to the significant impact that sharing the profound grief of others has on them.
- It is vital that anyone providing assistance also pays attention to the significant impact that sharing the profound grief of others has on them.
- Children who score high on IQ tests might also score high on leadership tests.
- Children scoring high on IQ tests might also score high on leadership tests.
Things in general
- The moon goes round the earth.
- It doesn’t rain very much in summer.
- Many social workers work directly with clients.
- Psychologists investigate behavior in many ways.
- Correlation does not demonstrate causation.
Things that happen repeatedly
- I usually go away at weekends.
- Google crawls Facebook frequently.
- Whenever possible, psychologists settle differences by direct investigation.
To say how often we do things
- My son visits my house once a week.
- Iran holds presidental elections every four years.
(like, love, … , know, realise, remember, …, contain, depend, …)
- I don’t like this lecture.
- I believe this kind of psychotherapy is not effective.
- I prefer a much more active environment
- I remember our first Forest Festival.
Present simple is timeless
Do not forget the -s / -es if using the third person.
- He works …
- The figure shows that …
- The earth goes round the sun.
- Rice does not grow in cold climates
- I don’t drink coffee very often
- A: I am hungry
- B: So am I
- Students: We are tired
- Teacher: So am I
- A: I hate mushrooms
- B: So does my wife
Our thoughts are with you, so are our prayers
Moses is offspring of Abraham, so are Jesus and Muhammad.
It is not enough to be busy. So are the ants. The question is: What are we busy about?
Roses are red, violets are blue, I’m schizophrenic, and so am I.
Arlington mayor: ‘You are looking for answers and so am I’
Life is unsure, and so are interest rates – Business Insider
Problems are Interconnected — And so are Solutions
When oil down, so are stocks – CNBC.com
Roger Miller – The Moon Is High (And So Am I)
This restaurant may be modest, but so are its prices
I Am Biased and So Are You – Control Freaks
Lithium-Air Batteries Are Great, But So Are Their Problems – Science Watch
Go to http://www.better-english.com/grammar/sodoi.htm to practice more.